[ale] OT ntp - leap second - how many knew what this was 3 weeks ago

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:14:55 EDT 2012

On 07/04/2012 01:57 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> I did not know adding a leap second was occurring until later. I was
> aware that Earth's rotation is slowing and periodically leap time must
> be added to account for it. I am not sure from a purely practical
> matter if it is important to add leap seconds instead of leap hours by
> doing something similar to EDT/EST time change but making it permanent.
The slowing of Earths rotation is so tiny it would require a 1 second
clock change every few thousand years.

The leap second is caused by our orbital period around Sol not being
exactly synchronous with our rotation rate on our axis. We need to be a
few dozen miles closer in on average to get a better alignment.