[ale] Better do my talk before it is illegal

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jan 29 16:32:16 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 12:19 -0500, Cameron Kilgore wrote:
> I hate the sense of pessimism on this list. If you care about rooting, you
> can spend the ten minutes to send your remarks to the copyright office.

Ha!

Note my signature...

An optimist believes we live in the best of all
possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

If we were not optimists then why would we involved in OpenSource
software to being with much like Don Quixote forever tilting at
windmills?

Linus use to (probably still does) like to quite Mahatmas Gandhi in his
"World Domination 101" talk:  "First they ignore you, then they fight
you, then you win."

A recent post to several sites went under the title "We WON!  But nobody
noticed" referring to the ubiquity of Linux.

We are OPTIMISTS!  But that does NOT mean we can NOT derive some
pleasure from bitching and moaning about our favorite not-so-pleasant
itches from time to time to time.  It's a favorite pastime for many of
us.  We ALL have our windmills to tilt against.

No, it's not as bad as the pessimism makes it out to be nor as good as
the optimism would like it to be.  It never will be.  It never can be.
But the truth always lies somewhere in-between.  The pessimists and the
optimists merely define the boundaries.  Should the truth move, the
pessimists would take the position of the optimists (or vice versa) and
the other side change to the new reality and the real reality is only
that the goal posts have changed.

Regards,
Mike