[ale] Fwd: Georgia Bill Would Prohibit Subsidies For Municpal Broadband - Slashdot

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jan 25 19:33:25 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 17:49 -0500, Steve Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Steve Brown <scbrown3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Chris Farris, I believe? I could try and did up the email, it was pretty
> > intense from what I remember.
> >
> > -Steve Brown

> Sorry, the above originally only sent to Michael W. Here are the emails
> Chris Farris wrote in 2006 about leaving the list:
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2006-September/089914.html
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2006-September/089916.html
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2006-October/090598.html

I thought you might be referring to Chris but wasn't going to cast
aspersions without confirmation...

I worked with Chris for a year or so when he was at ISS and I still like
him and would count him as a friend.  Recently had to deal with him for
things like the ALE domain and DNS stuff.  Life goes on and he has had
to move on.  He's good people but has been known to have his brash
moments as have we all.

All that being said...  I remember that time, and prior, well.  He gave
as well as he took and he offended as many as offended him (and I hope
he's lurking and reading this - as he has been known to do).  He even
volunteered to tip a server on top of Tod Lewis, one time after a
particularly BAD rant on the part of Herr Lewis, and I wigged out and
went absolutely nuclear on his ass on another mailing list common
between the three of us.

Chris is not "the founder" of ALE but is "a founder" of ALE (albeit
major founder) like Vern and myself and several others (too many to
remember or name this late at night) who are still on this list.  Don't
paint us all with the same brush.  I'm brusk and offensive and strongly
opinionated at times but that also tends to make me somewhat more
tolerant of others like me although also somewhat inclined to whip out
the nuclear flame thrower at times, because I'm use to people like
Chris.

I'm still here.  Many of us are still here.  We are all individuals.  I
endure (and participate in) the rants and I endure the OTs because this
is a good group.

Honestly...  The signal to noise ratio is far better on this list than
on several other lists I've put up with.  Some people are not going to
put up with anything and, in their leaving, do the very damn thing they
object to - add to the noise and degrade the signal to try and make a
personal point.  So be it.

> -Steve Brown

Regards,
Mike