[ale] OT: Re: Fwd: Georgia Bill Would Prohibit Subsidies For Municpal Broadband - Slashdot

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:03:48 EST 2012

On 1/25/12 1:19 PM, mike at trausch.us wrote:

> Aaron is an acquired taste.  He really is a nice guy.

On this, I can agree, despite my political leanings being very much
different than his (though, I can see how some behaviors by some bad
apples has led him to his views).

> But hey, see ya.  I guess if you can let a few words get in the way
> of your experience here, we neither want nor need you here.  Aaron
> is far from the only person to talk politics on the list, and for
> that matter, you're (presumably, I could be wrong) perfectly
> capable of ignoring the non-technical content.

Everyone is capable of ignoring or deleting emails.  We all know this,
and we need to remember that this is always an option.  However, this...

> Oh, well.  Maybe you'll be back in the future.  If so, perhaps
> you'll have grown some between now and then?
>
> Have a nice life

...is unnecessary. Andrew has a point that this topic is probably now
poisoned from here on down, and as usually happens, the politically
charged post is getting the most attention as of late, post wise.
Fine, yay, we're (sort of) paying attention to politics (which we
always should be doing, but a little more outside of this list).

But we don't need to be attacking members (departing or not). Mike, I
know enough about you to know you didn't mean it quite that way, that
you are frustrated as well at folks' knee-jerk reactions.

That's fine.

But I also saw this looking a little insulting, and for that, could
have been written better.  As could the initial response from Andrew.

Those are done, now.

I marked this OT in the subject line because this subthread is such.
My hope is we end it here, and move on, and maybe Andrew (and others
who are silently watching) will hang around to gain some benefit from
other threads from the list, or maybe not. But I would like us to not
go down our usual road of a scream fest and lose more folks just
because of choice of language.  I have my own list of words that are
objectionable that have (unfortunately) already been posted in this
thread, and I really need to sit down with the person who said them
and explain why I (and a few others) find its usage insulting.  Off list.

Brian