[ale] OT - Hard Drive Warranties

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Jan 25 09:19:07 EST 2012

I’d have to disagree with the earlier comment indicating drives will typically fail in the first 2 weeks if they’re going to fail.   For the multiple systems with multiple drive I administer I’ve seen drive failures occur from as little as a few months to longer than the warranty period.   Since these are racked servers there is no ungentle handling occurring.   I’ve seen similar on drives in disk arrays.   There isn’t usually a pattern one could discern.   (Although years ago I did have on Sun array that had multiple drives failures over a few months – Sun eventually had us schedule replacements for all the disks because they’d determined there was “diamond dust” in the air when they’d made that particular series of disks.  Other arrays of the same type with same type of disk didn’t have this issue so it really was a bad batch of disks.)