[ale] OT. Dead harddrive on laptop

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Jan 24 22:57:33 EST 2012

Cornelis,

Just to clarify a bit.  I didn't realize an external drive was under
consideration.  I guess I didn't read your post fully.

Regarding the internal drive.  If it is mechanically damaged, or has a
bad controller, etc., no software will fix it.  However, computers often
fail to boot because some data that they're trying to read during boot
is corrupted.  If a critical file has been deleted or something,
Spinrite wouldn't be able to fix that.  However, in many cases, the
files are there, but parts of the sector have been corrupted where the
data is stored.  The computer usually tries to read a whole sector at a
time and gives up rather easily if it can't read it.  If Spinrite
recovered damaged sectors enough so that the OS can read them, it is
possible that the part of the sector that was damaged was not a critical
boot file, but that the sector contained a critical boot file.  Once the
sector became unreadable, for whatever reason, that critical file
couldn't be read either.  If you fix the sector enough to be readable
again, then that critical file might be readable.  I hope that makes any
sense whatsoever.  In any case, it is entirely possible that Spinrite
could restore the machine's ability to boot, and it often does, but is
not guaranteed to do so, depending on the nature of the failure.

Now, I should point out that Spinrite must be booted from a floppy disk
or a CD.  So, since you don't have a floppy, you'd probably have to boot
from CD.  You could boot from a floppy attached to USB, but we haven't
established that you can boot from USB.  More on that later.  There is
sometimes a setting in the BIOS that tells if you can boot from CD.
Sometimes the machine will boot from a CD automatically.  Sometimes you
have to press a key to boot the cd or get a menu from which to boot the
CD.  You may have already mastered this problem, since you mentioned the
SUSE installer.

In any case, if you can boot from CD, you can use something such as
Spinrite, or tools on The Ultimate Boot CD, or even a Linux Install Disc
to run diagnostics and tests on the hard drive in the computer, even if
that hard drive cannot be booted on its own.

Now, I should mention that you would have to create said CD's on a
computer that is bootable and working, or you'd have to order them by
mail, if that's an option.  If you burn your own CD's, be aware that
really old machines, like my Win98 one (now running Lubuntu but
decommissioned for being too slow), don't always like to read homemade
CD's.  Use a quality brand of blank disk to burn to improve your odds.

As for a USB drive, if the computer is pre 2000 vintage, it may not be
able to boot from USB.  I have an old Win98 laptop that falls into that
category.  It also has USB 1 rather than USB 2.  USB 1 is MUCH MUCH
slower.  Look in the BIOS for anything that mentions USB or USB
emulation or USB booting and turn it on.  Then, look for stuff that
relates to the boot order.  If you want, and if the option is there, you
can set the system to boot first from the USB port, then the internal
hard drive.  So, if the system has this capability and if a USB drive is
plugged in that's bootable, the system can boot from it.  I keep my
systems set to boot from internal HDD, then CD, then USB.  If the
internal drive is functioning, it will boot from that.  If the internal
HDD is not working, and a bootable CD is in the drive, it will boot from
that.  If the internal HDD is not working, and there is no CD in the
drive, and a bootable USB device exists, it will boot from that.  Any
time I want, I can press the special key, which varies by computer, and
get a menu and force a boot from any device.

In general, booting from USB, even if you can, is a bad idea unless you
have a special reason like testing, etc.  The USB port is going to be
much slower than the internal HDD interface.  If your PC has USB 1,
don't even think about it.  However, as someone else mentioned, if you
have access to eSata or USB 3, then booting an external drive becomes a
lot more practical, other than the fact you have to attach it to boot.

Regarding the BIOS.  You MIGHT be able to boot a Live Linux Install
disc, access the internet, and get a more recent BIOS patch.  Installing
it may be a problem, since the files are usually an executable that has
to run from DOS or Windows.  Some BIOS's have a deal where you can
access the patch file from within the BIOS and it will do the upgrade.
But, the patch file has to be stored somewhere, which needs a functional
hard drive.  You would have to research the particular procedure for
your computer.  Make sure you've got all the bases covered if you
attempt this.  Usually, if you start a BIOS upgrade and it fails in the
middle, there is a good likelihood it will "brick" the computer and make
it unusable.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron