[ale] OT. Dead harddrive on laptop

Cornelis van Dijk cor.angela0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:05:49 EST 2012

Thank you all for the quick reply.

I should have mentioned that the drive does not want to boot anymore,
it just hangs with an idiot message about a wireless (RealTek) gadget
which needs its cables checked. As far as I know there is no such
thing on this laptop.

The BIOS still sees the drive but not the USB external Seagate. The
install program of suse 11.2 *does* see the external drive and I guess
I could install the OS on that, but would it boot?
Is there a way to force the BIOS to recognize the external drive? I
can find no mention of the USB drive anywhere in the BIOS (it mentions
a floppy, but this laptop does not even have a floppy!) Upgrading the
BIOS is probably also out of the question because of the boot problem.
It is a Phoenix BIOS from 1999.

It is kind of hard to see how programs like Spinrite would help if I
am not able to boot. Sorry for the incomplete information. Good to
know anyway.

Also good to know that these thing are user serviceable. It is a
Fujitsu drive. I guess I have to open the thing up. (A year ago I
succesfully mucked around inside my Sony Viao, disconnected a faulty
ventilator fan; thing does not seem to mind.)

Thanks again and any further help will be appreciated,

Cor van Dijk