[ale] NTP + GPS / with or without GPSD

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jan 24 12:22:43 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 02:15 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> As I've mentioned in other threads, I've been studying NTP and GPS and
> computer timekeeping.  I have some GPS toys arriving in the mail soon,
> and am looking forward to connecting it both to Windows and Linux for
> timekeeping purposes.  I've read various accounts of using the GPS along
> with NTPD.  I BELIEVE that NTPD can read the GPS on a serial TTY port
> directly.

It can.

> And, as I understand it, a USB connected GPS appears as
> though it's on a serial TTY port.

Most do.

> What I don't understand is the role
> of GPSD.

GPSD is really used for two purposes depending on what you have and what
you need.

Probably the most important one is protocol translation.  I believe that
GPSD speaks a lot more GPS protocols, including some proprietary ones
from Delorme and, iirc, Magellan but those were older devices from many
many years ago.  I think they were using a Rockwell chipset back then.
GPSD spoke the Rockwell protocol and would emit NMEA down a socket to
slave applications, including NTPD.  All the modern Delorme units are
using pretty standard chip sets and modules that speak NMEA-1 or one of
its enhancements.  Not totally sure what NTPD speaks but, when I last
looked at this several years ago, it was pretty much NMEA.  If your GPS
is not supported but NTPD, you may need GPSD to do translations.

Second thing you use GPSD for is multiplexing applications and
distributing the GPS data to multiple clients.  You could have NTPD as a
client and GPSDrive as a client of the same data streams.

If you don't need either of those features, you don't need GPSD.

Mike