[ale] OT. Dead harddrive on laptop

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Jan 24 12:20:29 EST 2012

Hi Cornelis,

I've had some dealings with bad drives here and there.  All the
following is simply my opinion, and I'm sure others will have other
opinions.  I would run Spinrite on it from http://www.grc.com .  The
program will thoroughly exercise every sector, read it if possible, and
if not, employ statistical methods to try to recover as much data as
possible at the sub sector level.  I know it has saved at least one
drive for me.  This process will often make the drive bootable /
readable again at least long enough to get data off.  Spinrite will not
erase data on the drive.  It will statistically analyze and rewrite
sectors that need recovering, so it does change them.  However, those
sectors were originally unreadable by other means, so if anything, you
should be better off.  The program is a commercial product and costs $
89.  Since you have a backup, it may not be worth it to you to buy such
a thing.  IF, and ONLY IF, you don't mind erasing the drive and trying
to bring it back from the dead, you could use something like Disk
Utility in Ubuntu Linux to delete the partitions and reinitialize and
repartition and reformat the drive.  Then, I would use a disk wiping
utility like some of the ones on The Ultimate Boot CD (
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ).  If you do this, be careful, you could
erase your main system drive.  Wipe the drive in question several times
with random data.  This is not for security.  It is to force every
sector on the drive to be written and rewritten several times (something
which Spinrite does).  This forces the drive's firmware to analyze every
sector carefully to determine that it is fully and reliably writable and
readable, and to map out any that are bad.  If you do several wipes
without errors, then repartition and reformat it again.  If all this
passes, run a long SMART disk diagnostic with something like Disk
Utility.  Finally, if all that has passed, and if the drive is not
showing any bad sectors, I would trust the drive with new data.  If I'm
using Spinrite to do all this, I wipe the drive once with a 3rd party
utility just to randomize all the flux patterns and write each sector,
then I run 6 exhaustive Spinrite passes instead of the other multiple
wipe processes.  This reads inverts writes and reads inverts writes
every sector every time I run a pass.  So, every sector, every bit, on
the drive is tested multiple times with both binary 1's and 0's.  So,
even without Spinrite, if you just want to thoroughly test and
initialize the drive (which also erases it), you can do it with all free
software.  What the free programs will not do, as far as I know, is
recover heretofore unrecoverable sectors the way Spinrite will in many
cases.  Also, running Spinrite periodically on good drives actually
prevents errors by refreshing the magnetic fields of every bit on the
drive, which may fade over time and become unreadable.  (If you decide
to use Spinrite, contact me and I'll help you through it.)  Of course,
if the drive is not spinning, has mechanically crashed, or has a bad
controller board, etc., no software on the planet will fix that.  You
probably want to run a long SMART test on the refurbished drive
periodically which I THINK includes a read only surface analysis.  At
the slightest hint of ABNORMAL mechanical noises or bad sectors from the
drive, I would decommission it, get the data off, and replace it.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely

Ron