[ale] NTP + GPS / with or without GPSD

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Jan 24 02:15:02 EST 2012

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've been studying NTP and GPS and
computer timekeeping.  I have some GPS toys arriving in the mail soon,
and am looking forward to connecting it both to Windows and Linux for
timekeeping purposes.  I've read various accounts of using the GPS along
with NTPD.  I BELIEVE that NTPD can read the GPS on a serial TTY port
directly.  And, as I understand it, a USB connected GPS appears as
though it's on a serial TTY port.  What I don't understand is the role
of GPSD.  I know I can run this in Linux, and that it works with NPTD to
set the system time.  However, I only have a port of NPT for Windows.
As far as I know, I cannot run GPSD in Windows, although I did read
something that said it would run in cygwin.  That sounds a little
kludgey.  So, what I need to know is if I can run my GPS time system
using ONLY NTP in Windows, without GPSD, because I know I can (and am)
running NTP on Windows.  (Aarg, acronym soup.)

If it helps, here's where I got my Windows version of NTP -
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

As far as I know, it should be pretty much functionally the same as the
Linux version.

If anybody understands how this works, please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Ron