[ale] First SOPA & PIPA, now Megaupload.com

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 21:26:35 EST 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-tD1yaE0GfQHi

On 01/19/2012 09:17 PM, Lawrence Hamblin wrote:
> Saw the story on Engadget after I got home from work.  There's no way
> this wasn't timed to come right after the protests.  Ars Technica says
> the people running the site may have actually been complicit in
> copyright infringement, but only time and trial will tell.
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM, gcs8 <gcsviii at gmail.com
> <mailto:gcsviii at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     yah, they took the nuke it from orbit approach.
>
>     On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Collin Pruitt <collin at collinp.com
>     <mailto:collin at collinp.com>> wrote:
>
>         Anyone else heard about this? The government seized
>         megaupload.com <http://megaupload.com>
>         http://techland.time.com/2012/01/19/feds-shut-down-megaupload-com-file-sharing-website/
>         http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/megaupload_seizure/

This was on YouTube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-tD1yaE0GfQ
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-tD1yaE0GfQ>.
Its by Mike Mozart and is spmewhat over the top. But I think he makes
valid point; since the servers have been seized, the user account
information is in the hands of the USDOJ. What will happen with this
data could be very scary. Just how much information is in the files is
unknown but I would guess email address, IP address logs, registration
information, and in some cases credit card information (street
addresses) will be perused for some juicy charges.

Personally, I had not heard of megaupload.com <http://megaupload.com>
until I saw the news story. I am somewhat wary of these sites even
though I have no interest in pirated content.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com