[ale] [OT] Software and file formats for on-line/correspondence chemical education

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:17:35 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM, George Allen <glallen01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> LaTeX had some Chemistry tools available.

Forgot to mention, LaTeX outputs pdf. So you can use your stylus and
whatever tools you like to annotate the PDFs the students send you.

I've used LaTeX for all documents I write outside of work (which
mandates Word) and keep everything in GIT for version control.

I forgot this THIS package is the key one:
http://ctan.math.utah.edu/ctan/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/mhchem/mhchem.pdf
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/mhchem/

Syntax looks like: \ce{SO4^2- + Ba^2+ -> BaSO4 v}
but it typesets correctly when you run pdflatex.

What level are these students? College?