[ale] [OT] Software and file formats for on-line/correspondence chemical education

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 12:53:45 EST 2012

Hmm.  The trouble with OO Draw et cetera is that they don't really
allow for version control, which I think is ultimately where you're
going.

I'd recommend the GIMP ( http://www.gimp.org/ )  if it's really
important to keep everyting in one file. GIMP implements "layers", so
that you could have the drawing and then successive edits on top of
it, each encapsulated in a way that you could roll back or forward as
a unit.  The GIMP won't allow you to organize your edits
of your requirements separately, by establishing a naming convention
or something.  Plus,  your students are going to have to learn a
(probably alien) software package.  The GIMP is available for all of
the major OSs, however, as is Open Office.

Have you considered using an RCS for this?  Seems like it you had a
Subversion ( http://subversion.tigris.org/ ) repository set up
somewhere that your students could get to, they could just check their
assignments in, then you could edit them as you wish and check your
edits in on top of their original work.  That'd provide a really clear
trail of who did what when, and you could still be pretty agnostic
about what kinds of files you were handling.  There're even some
places on the web that'll manage the SVN repository for you I believe.
 The subset of subversion commands you really need to know to talk to
a repository is pretty small, and setting it up on winders is
relatively trivial.  Might be worth a look.

-- CHS