[ale] VMPlayer 3 vs VirtualBox

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jan 19 12:16:40 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:55 -0500, Wolf Halton wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > "Chesser.Damon" <Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com> writes:
> >
> > > How about KVM using VNC with ssh, or ssh -X, or libvert manager?
> >
> > Personally I'd rather not provide login accounts to my VM
> > administrators.  I would much rather provide them a web interface.
> > KVM is a potential option; I need to explore the possibilities.
> > That means I need to find the time to set up a test environment.  :)
> >
> > > Damon at damtek.com
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > --
> >       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available
> >

> Look into ProxMox - it uses KVM and has a good web interface.  I am using
> it on a test server set-up, and I am prepared to open it up to our internal
> software developers for test machines.  It takes regular ISO installs and
> OpenVZ containers.

Ok...  Hold the phone.  You just confused me.

KVM and OpenVZ are two different critters.  KVM is hardware
virtualization while OpenVZ is container virtualization similar to Linux
Vservers, LXC, BSD goals, Solaris Zones, etc.  The two are not related.
Are you saying that, in addition to supporting KVM, it also takes
OpenVZ?

For the record, I'm about to move the last of my installations of OpenVZ
over to LXC after getting burn on a couple of OpenVZ kernel upgrades on
RHEL 5.  It'll me LESS painful to upgrade the machines to RHEL6 and get
the VMs migrated to LXC than continue to fight with the out of
source-tree patches that OpenVZ requires.
> This is good because OpenVZ containers use almost no
> resources just to run.  VMs reserve a lot of resources, but OpenVZ
> containers reserve no resources.  For capacity-planning purposes, you can
> probably overbook resources by 10x when using OpenVZ-style virtual
> machines.  A caveat: my test server-farm are low-traffic, low transaction
> level at the moment.

Yeah.  If it's Linux on Linux then OpenVZ / LXC containers are
definitely the way to go.

> Wolf
> The only issue I have found is that it appears to need root access, but
> someone on the list could correct me (please, thank you).
>
> --
> This Apt Has Super Cow Powers - http://sourcefreedom.com
> Advancing Libraries Together - http://LYRASIS.org

Regards,