[ale] Apache2 Proxy Question

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:09:19 EST 2012

I want to have a complicated web address http://sub.example.org:8080/redmine
be accessible at http://sub.example.org/redmine
This should be a simple redirect.
the following code is what I find at apache.org and is basically what I am
seeing everywhere.

ProxyRequests     Off
ProxyPass /redmine http://127.0.0.1:8080/redmine
ProxyPassReverse /redmine http://127.0.0.1:8080/redmine

What it gives me when I type http://sub.example.org/redmine in the address
bar of a browser is
http://sub.example.org/redmine/:8080/redmine
a broken nonexistent place.

I tried the code above in the virtual server and in the mod_proxy
configuration and failed the same way with the code in either file.  At
least the failure is consistent.
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default
/etc/apache2/mods-available/proxy.conf

I set the "A" record at the registrar (Network Solutions)  The base url "
example.org" points to a different ip address.
This server hostname = REDMINE-01 has 2 web servers running.  One is the
basic install apache2 listening at port 80, which I would like to be able
to keep if possible.
The other server is a Bitnami installed system listening at port 8080.

1.) should I set the other web server to listen at both ports and turn off
the apache2 server sitting on port 80?
2.) could this be a cname issue that I could adjust at the registrar's dns
settings?
3.) is it really a different problem and I have been trying to fix the
wrong problem for the last 11 hours?