[ale] VMPlayer 3 vs VirtualBox

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 08:55:59 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Chesser.Damon" <Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com> writes:
>
> > How about KVM using VNC with ssh, or ssh -X, or libvert manager?
>
> Personally I'd rather not provide login accounts to my VM
> administrators.  I would much rather provide them a web interface.
> KVM is a potential option; I need to explore the possibilities.
> That means I need to find the time to set up a test environment.  :)
>
> > Damon at damtek.com
>
> -derek

>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Look into ProxMox - it uses KVM and has a good web interface.  I am using
it on a test server set-up, and I am prepared to open it up to our internal
software developers for test machines.  It takes regular ISO installs and
OpenVZ containers.  This is good because OpenVZ containers use almost no
resources just to run.  VMs reserve a lot of resources, but OpenVZ
containers reserve no resources.  For capacity-planning purposes, you can
probably overbook resources by 10x when using OpenVZ-style virtual
machines.  A caveat: my test server-farm are low-traffic, low transaction
level at the moment.

Wolf
The only issue I have found is that it appears to need root access, but
someone on the list could correct me (please, thank you).