[ale] Tablet as a desktop

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Tue Jan 17 10:44:57 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> Is anyone here using a tablet and keyboard dock as a main desktop?
>
> I'm looking at one so that I can just grab and go.  One issue is going
> to be maintaining productivity with my current desktop.  It would run
> headless (no LCD) and then I would access its desktop via the tablet.
> This would be the only solution since I keep about 10 xterms open at all
> times.
>
> Crazy idea?

Yes, crazy idea.  This how Microsoft approached tablets for so many
years -- do the same thing you do on a computer but use a tablet
instead -- and failed so miserably.

A tablet is not a replacement for your computer, it never will be, nor
should it be.  It's like trying to figure out how many saddle-bags you
need after going from a horse to a car.  It's just not the right
approach.  Tablets are primarily consumption devices, and while they
can be used for certain kinds of input, you don't want to be doing it
every day.

What you are describing is simply a laptop with a working sleep mode.
I'm not sure the state of Linux today on laptops, but if it has not
met your needs in this respect, both Windows and OSX easily handle
sleep mode with no problems.

❧ Brian Mathis