[ale] VMPlayer 3 vs VirtualBox

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jan 16 16:03:13 EST 2012

On 01/16/2012 01:44 PM, Robert Coggins wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 9:26 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
>> My host is Windoze 7 64 bit.
>>
>> I am debating between VMPlayer 3 vs VirtualBox 4.
>>
>> Does it even matter ?  VMPlayer cannot be run headless while VirtualBox I
>> guess can be.
>>
>> Which product is more OpenSource friendly VMP or VBX ?
>>
>> -Narahari
>>

> Will VMware server not accomplish what you need?

VMware Server hasn't been updated and won't be updated anymore. EOL.
http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/index.html#policy_server

Nobody should be using "VMware Server" anymore.

As to which tool, VMware Player or Oracle VirtualBox is more opensource
friendly, just look at the license agreements.  I believe VirtualBox is more
open, but they do close-source and charge businesses for many of the useful
parts - USB drivers and remote desktop AND the client tools.  If you are a
business deploying VirtualBox, it is possible you need to be paying for a license.

With that said, neither is really opensource friendly in the same way that KVM
is.  You are in the commercial software world running Windows. What else would
you expect?