[ale] OT: Service for a Novatel USB cell modem

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:20:46 EST 2012

.
On Jan 14, 2012 12:44 PM, "Jeff Hubbs" <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> I have a Novatel USB760 3G EVDO Rev-A USB modem that I picked up from
Verizon last year.  I went month-to-month thinking that I wouldn't
necessarily use it all the time, so I have it free and clear.

> As I recall, the Verizon service offering that I was using gave me
1GB/month at about $50/month.  Now they say that the plan pricing is the
same on the month-to-month and the contract plan, starting at $50 for 5GB.

> I'd like some advice on more agreeable plans that I can use this device
with.  I don't want to have to keep going through this thing where I won't
use it for a while then have to go though this whole re-activation process
that can wind up amounting to $50 for maybe an hour's total use.  Now that
I'm in grad school fulltime, I need ready availability for light/moderate
use at less cost - it's OK if it's at a reduced bandwidth; I just want to
get connected wherever/whenever without it costing something like
$600/year.  I do have an iPhone 3G under AT&T; if there's a reasonable
tethering option there I'm open to it.  What might I look into?

Verizon is NOT your friend in this. Look at one of the fixed rate plans
with minimal data or plan on being "phone only" at times. Occasional data
use is deep into the stupid money range.