[ale] OT: To stop PIPA and SOPA, we need to organize.

matt ur.matt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:26:13 EST 2012

Hey all,

I'm sending this to 3 lists (Freeside, Atlanta Burners, and ALE), which I
know is a no-no, but I think it warrants an exception. I just got the below
email from Meetup and it gave me an idea. I think we need to do something
similar in that Atlanta Tech community. I'm out of town all next week, but
we need a plan to try and force people to pay attention to this issue that
is going to affect the internet in a profound, irreversible manner. You can
email your representatives, but I did that about a month ago and got a
mixed response. Some for it, some against, mostly canned emails from people
who have no clue what this means. Let's start a conversation about what we
can do as a group to help make sure that we've done all we can. Anyone have
any ideas?

Dear Member of the NYC Tech Community,

Meetup Groups across the country are mobilizing to help stop
SOPA and PIPA, as we will very potentially see PIPA's passage
in the next two weeks if we don't act.

We at Meetup HQ are alerting members of the New York Tech
community about a chance to organize together. The NY Tech
Meetup, New York's largest Tech Meetup, has scheduled an
emergency Meetup on Wednesday, January 18. In order to build
critical mass and maintain an organized event *please RSVP in
the NY Tech Meetup* if you want to participate.

Go here to RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/ny-tech/events/47879702/

If you want more information on SOPA and PIPA and why it's so
dangerous, go here: http://americancensorship.org/

If you understand how grave this is and want to show your
support and get your Meetup involved, please join in now and
spread the word!

Yours in solidarity,

Kathryn Fink
Meetup HQ | Community Development Lead