[ale] FreeBSD is Demonic

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 13 09:31:45 EST 2012

On 01/13/2012 05:14 AM, Leam Hall wrote:
> When I was playing with NetBSD on Sparc it was zippy fast and the OS
> install was very small. NetBSD is also used as *the* example of clean
> coding; they try and keep things as architecture portable as possible.

All of the BSD systems are quite strapping compared to Linux.  I can't
remember if it is NetBSD or OpenBSD, but I remember installing one of
the two at one point and going "holy crap, that's it‽".  Around 100 MB
installed and I was ready to install applications on the system.

That was seriously refreshing.

Even FreeBSD compared to the other two is kinda like the chubby kid in
the class.  Let's not talk about what Linux is, then, in relation to
FreeBSD!

> If I were doing a desktop, though, definitely Linux. Any of the BSD
> versions seems to be a few years behind.

I don't know about that; they are more advanced in different ways, and
it's not the kernel's problem, really, or the fault of the userland.
Some software just doesn't support FreeBSD (or NetBSD, or OpenBSD) as
well as it does Linux.  All that would need to happen for that to change
is for an interested party to contribute to the project and enhance
portability to the BSD family, I'm sure.

Also, I have sometimes seen the Ports trees get out-of-date on the BSD
systems.  I have a tendency to download tarballs and compile from source
myself when I am working on the BSD systems.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”