[ale] {OT} -- For the programmer on the list

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:47:20 EST 2012

On 01/12/2012 04:59 PM, Michael Potter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Jay Lozier<jslozier at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 01/12/2012 01:29 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Java is both a place and a beverage. It's not a language worthy of
>> continuity.</snark>
>>

>> <snark>And it is one the major security problems in the Windows world. IMHO
>> it is about halfway between a scripting language and an industrial strength
>> language with all the worst features of both and none of the advantages of
>> either</snark>
>>
> Jay,
>
> Could you elaborate on what major security problems are introduced to
> Windows because of the presence of Java/JVM?
>
> I use the JVM on windows and am interested in what security problems
> exist in Java/JVM versions in current use on Windows.
> I am not interested in the history of resolved problems.
>
> This is a sincere request for information, not bait for a debate.
I remember reading a security column about a month ago (Tech Republic -
I think) that cited the biggest security headaches with Windows as bugs
in Java and Adobe Flash. Flash was rated as number 1. Windows was rated
as 3 or 4 most troublesome. The article did not cite specific security
problems but noted that keeping software up to date would alleviate most
of the problems. Since I rarely use Windows I only followed the general
information not the specific details.

Actually, if you use Java you use a JVM, just which one.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com