[ale] RHEL-6.1 system with 4 CPU sockets and 1TB of memory

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:23:33 EST 2012

On 01/12/2012 12:34 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM, david w. millians <millia at panix.com
> <mailto:millia at panix.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/11/2012 1:32 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>     >> She's a geologist and knows the true value of diamonds (nearly
>     as common as
>     >> sand) so I'm off the hook for that :-)
>     >
>     > No joke.  If it wasn't for some crazy monopolies (DeBeers) diamonds
>     > would be about $5 a caret.
>
>     Citation? I've heard this, but can't find any documentation for
>     it. I do
>     know that modern manufacturing methods mean that large carat stones
>     *are* rare, and that stones like the Koh-i-noor will never happen
>     again.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Beers
> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/4575/
> http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2001/02/19/296863/index.htm
> http://are.berkeley.edu/~sberto/DeBeersDiamondIndustry.pdf
> <http://are.berkeley.edu/%7Esberto/DeBeersDiamondIndustry.pdf>
>
> The list goes on and on and on. They were essentially "outed" in early
> 2001 or 2002 but the defining moment of discovery was a PBS
> documentary in the mid to late 90s covering the DeBeers monopoly
> practices and the link between their diamond business and the
> Apartheid regime in South Africa. As the apartheid process collapsed,
> the rise of so called "blood diamonds" appears to have replaced the
> overt politics of diamond money for political subjection with diamond
> money for murder for hire.
>
> <political overtones warning>
>
> I will not, nor will my wife, EVER purchase another diamond. She has
> only the engagement ring with a single stone acquired prior to our
> awareness of the horrid methods used by de Beers in the mining and we
> both agree that diamonds and the money and power they represent have
> too much of a history of being used to subjugate other humans into
> servitude, overt slavery, victims of torture, etc., that we can not
> with any degree of conscience support with any purchase any aspect of
> the De Beers family diamond business. Once the PBS appeared, De Beers
> countered with the advertisement campaign with the silhouettes and the
> music inspired by Vivaldi's "Summer" and manipulated the general
> American and British  population of potential diamond buyers that they
> all but forgot what a despicable process they were supporting and
> diamond sales increased. My blood pressure still hits "inside a sun"
> limits as I think about the ignorance of the Americans who still buy
> diamonds and directly and indirectly support the worst abuses of
> humanity since Auschwitz.
Are you sure that Auschwitz, as horrible and disgusting as it was, would
not be an improvement for the miners?

What is worse, all a diamond is cubic crystalline form of carbon and is
technically thermodynamically unstable at room temperature. But it takes
a few million years to convert to graphite. Diamonds, at least
industrial grade, are fairly easy to manufacture - just take some
graphite put it under very pressures and temperatures (no oxygen
present) and wait a few hours.

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as
> they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the
> outcome.
> - ////2011 Noam Chomsky
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> ////