[ale] possibility of running an NTP server

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:02:27 EST 2012

Ron,

Many places put in the IP addresses vice the names for NTP servers.
While it is subject to IP address change, most institutions don't change
their IPs that often.

While JD's point about NTP being a solved issue is valid, that does not
preclude YOU from learning about it. Much of what we have in the Open
Source world today is based off someone looking at an old problem a new
way and coming up with a better answer. Keep in mind that accurate time
is critical for several spheres; Oracle and other databases, regulatory
requirements probably have auditing mandates that require accurate time
stamps, and some women hate their dates to be late though they reserve
the option for themselves.   :)

Another avenue you might look at is taking up a language that is
interesting to you and re-writing some time software. Maybe Python (what
I'm re-learning), Go, or the venerable C. Pick your poison and drink to
full measure. (Obligatory ALE reference)

One of the things I like about Linux, BSD, and the applications that run
on them is the constant growth. If I knew everything about them today
there would be more to learn tomorrow. Open Source gives you the freedom
to enjoy learning.

Leam