[ale] more reverse DNS questions

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Jan 6 16:32:05 EST 2012

The ISP does reverse delegations to their customer.  If they've already delegated the range that includes the IP donated to you to the company that donated it to you that company can delegate it to you or make the reverse entry on their own DNS server(s).   Alternatively they could request the ISP change the delegation range to exclude the one to you then do a delegation to you for that one.   I'd think that alternative would be a PITA for the donator.

But yes in general:
You tell the Registrar (GoDaddy in your case) the DNS information for forward lookups (or at least what your DNS servers are - many of the Registrars will also let you put records (A, CNAME, MX etc...) on their site.
You tell the ISP the DNS information for the reverse lookups (typically a delegation to your DNS servers).