[ale] more reverse DNS questions

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Fri Jan 6 16:00:44 EST 2012

Last week I was asking about using godaddy for DNS. Well, I finally figured
out how to get godaddy to let us run our own DNS server. Toward the bottom
of the page for setting nameservers is a button called "Host summary". You
have to enter the names and IP addresses of your nameservers on that page
before you can enter them onto the list of nameservers for your domain. So I
did that and now we are up and running.

Well, except for one thing. you can't do a reverse lookup on the IP address
of our virtual machine. There is nothing I can do about that, right? This is
a vm that is donated to us by a local web services company.  Its one thing
to tell the world that www.iavit.org goes to 66.170.20.226. That can't mess
anything up. But you can't have just anybody doing it the other way around.
If that was something anybody could do, the internet could be severaly
messed up.

So if I understand the way the internet works, I'm going to have to go to
the company that donated the virtual machine and get them to contact their
ISP on our behalf. Is that correct?

PS: Here is my forward lookup zone file. Can anybody tell me if I've done
anything wrong?

$TTL 86400 ; 24 hours could have been written as 24h or 1d
$ORIGIN iavit.org.
@ IN SOA iavit.iavit.org. hostmaster at iavit.org. (
         2011062601 ; serial
         3H ; refresh