[ale] Time to stir the pot

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:32:25 EST 2012

Rich,

Your facts, as I understand things, are correct. Linux uses GNU tools
extensively and what we tend to think of as "Linux" is Linus' kernel
work and a boatload of other tools. In general a pure Linux box has no
real production value without things like Apache, or MySQL, or any of
the other thousands of applications written for it. The kernel isn't
much to base a business on.

What makes me pity RMS is his ego fragility. Producing the GNU tools
and leading that group is an awesome accomplishment. Feeling like he
has to get tacked on to Linux just devalues his accomplishments.

All of that, of course, is my opinion.   :)

Leam