[ale] Time to stir the pot

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:27:39 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.osnews.com/story/25469/Richard_Stallman_Was_Right_All_Along
>
> I've thought all along that Stalman was a better barometer of how things
> need to be than the pundits would give him credit. And yes, it should be
> called a GNU/Linux system.
>
> the list has been rather dull lately. Time for some lively, er, um, heated
> discussion :-)
>
> I would love a totally open, freedom-friendly hardware stack. Stallman
> sees the hardware stuff of binary blobs and similar ilk as very, very bad
> for people freedom. I totally agree.

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
> please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
> - *2011 Noam Chomsky
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> *

I think Stallman is right.  Our entire world may be imperiled by the
fearmongering powers who believe that dissent is dangerous and must be
quashed.  If the US Founding Fathers had taken that view, they would never
have broken with the crown. They would have knuckled under.  All sorts of
interesting things are possible right now, while we still have an almost
open Internet.  Look at the "Arab Spring" events, that are still going on.
Look at the OWS events that have spread all over the globe.  Even with a
corporative news media, refusing to report on many of the occupying
efforts, the work is getting done and the word is getting out.

Wolf