[ale] OT: Who else plans to get a RaspberryPi?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Feb 26 21:29:07 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 19:37 -0500, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Make, model, price???

There are a number available at a variety of prices.  Here as some at
HomeDepot and Amazon...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203164776/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wireless%20theremostat&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203164774/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wireless%20theremostat&storeId=10051

http://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Wi-fi-Screen-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B004IFXVHM

http://www.amazon.com/Homewerks-Thermostat-CT-30-H-K2-Wireless-Module/dp/B004YZFU1Q/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1330309343&sr=1-2-catcorr

If you want to go through Z-Wave or Insteon, there are some decent PLM
based thermostats that interface to WiFi and internet interfaces, but I
don't think that's what your looking for.

Proviso!  In MOST cases, you're going to need add the "C" wire (power)
to your thermostat wiring bundle.  Most HVAC systems have 4 wire
thermostat wires and lack the 24VAC C wire.  If you don't have the C
wire (5 wire system) you'll need to either add it or run the system on
batteries or an external wall wart.  Some people have worked around it
on 4 wire systems but there are some questions about reliability.  I'm
fortunate in that most of my HVAC wiring is reasonably accessible and
adding that 5th wire will not be a problem for me.  Your mileage may
vary.

Regards,
Mike