[ale] [OT] Best remote/local backup for less technical?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Feb 26 12:58:20 EST 2012

Hi John,

I use, and like Jungledisk ( https://www.jungledisk.com/ ).  Setup is
complex, so your relatives probably couldn't set it up.  Note, I never
accept the defaults on any program and generally don't use the wizards.
I always go into the advanced configuration and see what the options
are.  They are almost never set like I want them by default.  However,
you could set it up.  I could help if advice is needed.  It's highly
configurable.  If they store all their data in their home directory,
setup is not so bad.  On Linux, I do store most of my data in my home
directory.  However, in Windows, my data and apps are all over the hard
drive.  So, that configuration is much more complex.  Anyway, once it's
set up, it's pretty much set and forget.  The exception is that
sometimes the backup application needs updating.  I don't remember if I
installed it within or outside of the package manager.  If it's outside
the package manager, it has to be manually updated.  Actually, I think
there's a Ubuntu repository, but I'm not running Linux at the moment, so
I cannot check.

The system is very powerful.  I have it running every 6 hours to back up
any new stuff I've saved.  Jungledisk was bought by Rackspace.  It can
use either the Rackspace cloud or the Amazon web services cloud for
backup.  Both systems are highly redundant and reliable as far as I
know.  I use the Amazon cloud.  If you wish, you can pre encrypt the
data with a password / passphrase.  If you do that, the service company
has no access to your data at all, even if they get a court order,
nothing gets out without your permission.  In that case, they also
cannot help you if you lose your password.  If you check the privacy
policies of some of these companies, you'll find out that they can
decrypt your data if they're forced to.

Cost is $ 2 - $ 3 / mo plus 18 cents / GB of storage if I recall
correctly.  There are some data transfer fees, but once the initial
transfer to the cloud is done, those are relatively minimal, as only
updates are sent.  If you had to recover all the data at once and
restore it, and if it was 5 GB, for example, it might cost you a buck or
two to do the restore.  If you had to restore 100 GB, it might cost $ 15
or so.  I'm running JD on 3 computers which dual boot between Windows
and Linux, so in effect, I have 6 computers.  I probably have ~100 GB
stored in total, and pay about $ 14 / month.  For small amounts of data,
the cost is really minimal.  JD is not the cheapest cloud storage, but
it is one of the most versatile.  My take on it is that, if I need to do
a restore, I'm probably having a catastrophe.  I want to be darn sure
the data I need will be there.  I figure that running world class,
geographically dispersed, redundant, professionally managed data centers
is not the cheapest thing around either.

Sincerely,

Ron