[ale] Linux DESKTOP User's Group

James Baker jimbakerforlinux at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 09:58:05 EST 2012

On 02/26/2012 08:37 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Saturday 25 February 2012, Tod Davis wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am interested in getting a group of intermediate Linux users together
>> to talk about our home desktop/notebook systems (as opposed to servers
>> and sysadmin stuff) and learn from what each has done.  My initial
>> thoughts would be to show off and compare:
>>
>> different distros
>> desktop environments
>> programs for getting things done
>> customizing fstab, aliases, etc
>> Conky and customization
>> working from the command line
>> firewalls and security
>> favorite beers
>> whatever else sounds interesting at the time...
>>
>> I live in Suwanee and can host them (near 400 exit 14 or 85 exit 111),
>> but we could plan to rotate meetings from house to house if that is
>> easier for people.  Let me know if you would be interested or forward
>> this along to anyone you know who may have an interest.
> Suwanee is a bit far for me to make it every month, but I am interested in
> this. Coming up on ten years as a Linux /desktop/ user in October, so I
> think I can safely claim intermediate skills.
>
> Mandriva since Mandrake 8.0, KDE and not at all thrilled with the changes
> a few years back. Eagerly awaiting for Trinity's long promised Mandriva
> package so I can upgrade from 2008. Use the command line when I have to,
> but not the least bit ashamed to use GUI tools when they are available.
> Adding back the long hidden file manager in SU mode is my favorite
> customization.
>
> Will be needing to upgrade my firewall in the next year or two since mine
> will not do IPV6. Have not had a beer in nearly 20 years so I will pass
> on that meeting:)
Suwanee is a bit far for me as well, but I would be interested in
something like this.
I've been fiddling with Linux and reading all the mags for about 6 years
or more, lost track...
I like the command line and the GUI probably equally, but do probably go
to the command line as a first instinct.
All my machines run Linux of one kind or another and I remote admin 3 of
my extended family's machines.
I'd like to know what people are thinking about doing with regard to
avoiding the new "touch" UIs for their non-touch desktops.