[ale] [OT] Best remote/local backup for less technical?

Stephen Haywood stephen at averagesecurityguy.info
Sat Feb 25 18:54:55 EST 2012

I use Mozy home edition from EMC. It works great and it's relatively
inexpensive. I pay $9.99 a month for 125GB of backup. I think they have
smaller plans as well. As far as ease of use. I set it up on my Mac and I
just let it run. Every so often I log into the web site and make sure my
files are there and I try to download a copy to test the restore.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM, John Anderson <j at intte.com> wrote:

> I have some older relatives who could use a better backup solution for
> their work files. They work from home and mostly use office files, which
> are not huge. Yes they are running windows.
>
> So, there are two things I am considering, remote backup to one of the
> many services available, and/or a utility to copy the contents of their
> work folder on the laptop over to a usb hard drive in the background.
>
> Any personal experience/recommendations? It ideally should be something
> that I could set up on the laptop and not worry about unless they have a
> crash on the laptop itself. If it takes regular maintenance on their end
> it might not work out.
>
> If I have the files on the laptop syncing to a hard drive do I have to
> worry about unfortunate deletions propagating over?

Stephen Haywood
Information Security Consultant
CISSP, GPEN, OSCP
T: @averagesecguy