[ale] grub rescue

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:28:25 EST 2012

Here's an update on my progress with the scrambled partition table and
encrypted home directory.
Using dd I copied the hard drive and did the rest of this on the copy.
I ran testdisk from a live boot usb flash drive and was able
re-identify the unallocated partition as a linux partition and write
the partition table.
After a boot or two, gparted saw the partition as sda5.
Long story short for now, Ubuntu 11.04 includes the ultility
encryptfs-recover-private which was able to mount the encrypted
/home/john and I have now copied my files.
Caveat #1 - it took me a while to learn that my live boot usb Ubuntu
11.04 had to be 64 bit since my original partition was 64 bit.
Caveat #2 - some of these steps were very time consuming.

I next plan to try to see if I can make the hard drive bootable again.

...John