[ale] Anyone done business cases for managing cloud servers?

Elmer Masters elmer at teknoids.net
Sat Feb 18 10:05:14 EST 2012

Hi, Leam.

I haven't done any formal cases, but I can tell you a couple of things
about using Amazon's cloud. I think the main costs to look at are the
monthly costs for cloud service. These should be compared to the costs
associated with a data center or co-lo and the cost of buying your own
hardware. Amazon makes it real easy to provision new server instances,
but the costs start around $90/mo per server. Using Amazon means I can
run 17 servers without worrying about maintaining the physical space
for them and buying new and replacement hardware.
Of course once an instance is up and running it is a complete server
and, as we all know, servers don't run themselves. Managing systems in
the cloud still requires as much attention as if they were sitting in
a rack down the hall, the primary difference being I'm not going to
accidentally dump[ coffee on a cloud server.

There were a couple of blog posts this week that may be of interest:
http://gigaom.com/2012/02/11/which-is-less-expensive-amazon-or-self-hosted/
and http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/02/be-careful-when-comparing-aws-costs.html.

Hope this helps,

Elmer.