[ale] raid suggestions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:38:46 EST 2012

No red herring at all. A statement of preference. My ability to diagnose a
software raid failure is far better than for hardware. I can see what is
supposed to happen as opposed to a silicon black box. A published API may
or may not be "all there is" to a piece of hardware.
Both harware and software fail. I can solder and code but I can't make a
silicon wafer into a replacement chip while I can patch and recompile.
I would be pretty happy with a hardware RAID controller that implemented
the kernel's RAID functions with a flashed fpga. That would be an ideal rig
to me. :-)