[ale] checking for interest for a free intro class "Introduction to Automating Linux System Administration using CFEngine 3"

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Feb 14 09:56:17 EST 2012

On 02/13/2012 04:40 PM, matt wrote:
> woohoo! Lots of new puppet users! remember to check out the module forge
> before you go writing something that's been done a million times before!

I have finally started to take a serious look at puppet and am testing
its usage on a not-yet-fully-configured domain.

That said, I am *not* currently using any of the modules from the module
forge.  I _want_ to reinvent the wheel, at least until I am comfortable
with the wheels that can be built with Puppet, and once I've done that I
might start looking at using pre-fab modules that are available out
there.  I will probably have to modify them anyway; none of them
consider the systems I have planned for deployment (such as Gentoo).

That's alright.  I'm learning.  :^)

I am finding myself somewhat happy with it.  I'm still allergic to
things written in Ruby, of course.  If there were a drop-in Puppet clone
in Python, I'd be all over that like white on rice, and I may not stay
with puppet forever, but for the time being, I am rather liking it.  I
have a master on Linode, a server here at the house, and a VM on my
desktop that I am using to play with it for the time being.

As an aside, I'm also highly allergic to Rails.  Been there, done that
(I have a Redmine installation that is a thorn in my side...) and
utterly refuse to do it again...

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”