[ale] OS X guest on an AMD KVM host

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Feb 14 09:51:39 EST 2012

On 02/13/2012 02:22 PM, Brian W. Neu wrote:
> Has anyone pulled this off?  I'm running into roadblock after roadblock
> and I'm ready to pay for pointers, tips, help, or even comic relief at
> this point.  Feel free to email me off list, brian.neu at ...

First things first:  This *will* violate your license.  As I understand
it, you _are_ allowed to virtualize OS X, but only on Apple hardware
(according to the license, "your Apple-branded computer").  Now, while I
am of the opinion that this is unenforceable, I cannot say that I am
aware of any tests of this requirement.

That said, you require a (virtual) system that has EFI installed.  There
are workarounds, patches and so forth, and there are even EFI images
that can be booted from BIOS firmware somewhere out there that you can
use in order to properly boot OS X on non-Apple hardware.  I don't have
any clue if any of these methods work with KVM.  I have heard (but not
attempted this to verify it) that OS X will boot on VirtualBox using its
EFI firmware.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”