[ale] raid suggestions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:31:19 EST 2012

backups are at regular rates.
Restores are at 1.5 rates.
Emergency restores are double rate
Emergency restores of systems that were known to have insufficient backup
and restore processes are at triple rate.
Recoveries of lost data from failed hard drives there were supposed to be
backed up by the boss/system-owner are quad rate PLUS expenses and I like
VERY expensive booze and dinners during recoveries. A case of 40 year
single-malt at a minimum.

Restores should be unattended until the very end. Restore to a secondary
location and migrate over when it's all complete. Separate the OS backup
from the data backup so data can be restored to a new system.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 02/10/2012 12:03 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> > Maybe a timely 36 hour downtime would encourage folks there that they
> > need to invest in backup technology.   Backups never seem important
> > until you NEED to do a restore.
>
> That's pretty much the way I figure it.
>
> That said, I work like hell to try to ensure that it doesn't happen.  36
> hours of restoration, trying to catch naps where I can, does NOT sound
> like a good way to spend 1.5 days.
>
> But it does sound like a really good invoice.  Almost not worth the loss
> of sleep, though.  So... I work like hell.  :)
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/