[ale] raid suggestions

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 10 11:38:30 EST 2012

On 02/10/2012 11:36 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> If it takes 36 hours to restore how are you backing it up in the
> first place?

Incrementally, and daily.

> RAID != substitute for backups.

I am fully aware of that.  If I weren't backing it up, it wouldn't be
restorable, now would it?  :-)

> RAID is intended to help preserve uptime because restore is always a
> PITA due to downtime but it can not be relied upon to prevent all
> failures.   What happens if the cabinet the disks are in catches
> fire?

Then they lose 1.5 days.  Here's hoping that such an event occurs on a
Friday night.

> We certainly do a lot of RAID storage both internal to servers with
> controllers and external via disk arrays on fibre SANs but we ALSO do
> backups AND send data offsite in case our data center gets
> destroyed.

Indeed.  I am not aware of any other (sane) way to do it.  It would be
much more expedient, however, if I had a tape drive in the system and
didn't have to do things like bring backups in on USB or optical disks.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”