[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 10 11:06:21 EST 2012

On 02/10/2012 04:36 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:
>> It is less that I am an emacs user (I would run that from a flash drive
>> > without any issues whatsoever) and more the fact that sometimes I have
>> > to process 100+ GB data sets which are simply only economical on hard
>> > disk drives.
>> >
>> > Hell, Thunderbird eats up more disk I/O resources than Emacs ever does
>> > (or probably will).  Evolution, too.
>> >
>> > 	--- Mike
>> >
> I don't want to speak for the other Jim, but I read his post as more of
> a jab than an attempt to solve your problem.  We have been trading barbs
> WRT the vi vs emacs discussion.  :)

Yes, yes.  :)

I figured I would inject a modicum of seriousness there.

While on the topic of running systems in whatever manner you wish to run
them, I seriously want to know just why Microsoft is still pushing BIOS
partition tables these days.  That particular technology should have
gone the way of the dinosaur already, and if it weren't for Microsoft,
it would have.

It's really amazing to me that it is impossible (without the concurrent
use of EFI) for Windows to use GPT as a boot medium.  (It has no
problems with GPT-partitioned media that isn't the boot medium,
though---go figure.)  I am pretty sure that FreeDOS doesn't support GPT
either, but I don't think that it would be that difficult to add support
for it.

The other interesting thing is that it seems that my laptop has an EFI
firmware, but doesn't actually make use of the EFI capabilities of it.
It runs a BIOS program instead, which means that Windows still refuses
to use GPT on that system.  Annoyed.

	-- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”