[ale] Silly browser strings

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Feb 9 11:29:35 EST 2012

Potentially amusing little distraction from the monthly Vi verses Emacs
thread for those who need one.

Registered a domain name over a year ago (unrelated to Linux.) and had to
settle for my second choice at the time because my first pick was taken.
Unavailable, but no actual site so I assumed squatters... Last week I was
registering a name for something else and thought to check again for my
first choice from back then. Success! Set up a tiny welcome page and
started monitoring.

Someone, (or some bot?) apparently had a PHPBB2 message board up for
awhile because I'm seeing quite a bit of traffic looking for it. Most
amusing so far were 11 hits, from 11 different IPs, in a three minute
period and all 11 claiming to be Win 98.
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Update a; AOL 6.0; Windows 98)"

Wayback machine never indexed the site, so I have no clue what was once
there. Somehow I do not believe it was an antique computer club, but who
knows;-)
--
William