[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:13:06 EST 2012

Before resizing an NTFS partition, especially with use at your own risk
tools, you should do two things first: run a complete chkdsk on the volume
and defragment the drive. Failure to do either of those things could result
in the loss of vital system files/areas of the disk. If this has happened,
the least you can try is a repair using the Windows install disk.

The best solution would be to mount the partition with the NTFS driver,
copy off all the important data, and install Windows _to its own physical
disk_.

On Wednesday, February 8, 2012, John Anderson <j at intte.com> wrote:
> I installed mint side by side on my nephews computer up in NY about
> three weeks ago. I defaulted the boot to windows to not force the issue.
> I had some minor issues on install where the toolbars wouldn't show up
> in the gnome desktop. Installing other desktops appeared to fix the
> issue for some reason. I left him running KDE.
>
> Windows apparently worked for at least a week after I left. For the past
> week however, Windows blue-screens on boot. It also blue-screens in all
> safe mode options. They do at least get as far as the screen asking
> which safe mode option to choose.
>
> Now, if someone described these symptoms to me on a Windows only box I
> would guess hardware failure. However the mint partition is working and
> my nephew is using that in the meantime. He doesn't seem to mind except
> he can't run some of his games.
>
> Now, the only thing that I really 'did' was that I did use the
> repartition tool to make room for mint linux - something that I haven't
> actually done that often so I don't know how common problems are.
>
> There is also the question that maybe the toolbar issue that I had
> relates to an issue with the video card, as opposed to a video driver
> issue which was my working theory.
>
> So- anyone have any issues with repartitioning a windows drive causing
> windows to bluescreen?
>
> Does it seem plausible that it could be a hardware issue- given that
> Mint seems to run OK?
>
> The Ntfs partion can't be mounted from the file manager GUI inside Mint-
> is there  a way to force it on the command line?
>
> Is this perhaps related to a virus/rootkit on the windows side?
>
> Might fsck help?

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59