[ale] Metropcs 4G LTE vs AT&T DSL (ot)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:26:50 EST 2012

good bunch of info.

My take is all the carriers want you to _buy_ their service but not _use_
their service. On one hande they will happily sell a phone with required
big data plan fee and then turn around a whine about how much bandwidth
their customers are using and then come up with ways to cut down on the
access.

>From a technology standpoint, people want more and more data all the time.
>From a social standpoint, most of this data is little more than "TV" (and
this group has had several discussions of the quality of that :-).

I bought into Verizon with my droid (first gen). That little phone is still
running on the original battery. They keep trying to get me to upgrade. A
rep I spoke with swore that as long as I keep my service with them, my
unlimited data will remain "unlimited". My wife also has a plan from the
same time frame. My Verizon bill (4 phone, 2 data plans, large text message
package on one) is truly a horror!

I really am unimpressed with moving the data flow off the carrier and onto
local wireless. It seems to be a crutch/workaround for carriers not
investing enough to provide the services they offer. They are, in effect,
stealing carrier service from other people and as many area wi-fi hotspots
re moving towards a pay-as-you-go structure, the end result is just to
screw the customer a bit more as they have to pick the added cost of access
at a coffee shop even though they pay for access from their phone provider.

I amusing my phone for almost all personal email now as the only laptop I
use is work provided. I put NOTHING personal on that unless I have to use a
larger screen to see something. (BTW: the Lenovo ThinkPad W520 is
__AWESOME___!!!).

I keep wondering how much longer we can continue to push for larger
bandwidth data uses before we hit some physical limit on multiplexing
carrier signals. Maybe if the cell tower range were smaller and there were
many more of them. I'm thinking street lights as cell points with
power-line data feeds as multiplex sources for the common carrier crap like
cell-phone TV. You can just pick up a feed and do some local caching for
small time shifting.

Hmm. That would make for a fun, tech/sci-fi horror story: The day the
bandwidth died.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/