[ale] Stupid Question Time

Michael Nolan michaeldnolan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 17:54:41 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com>
wrote:> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Lightner, Jeff wrote:>>> Maybe it was
"stupid answer" for "stupid question"?>>>>>> Hopefully he meant "sudo
rm -rf /<directory> and not just "/"!

This is more of a follow up concept question...

Why, if I used mount manager while in my user account, to mount the
drive with the two partitions (and probably had to enter my user
password), did it create mount points owned by root?

It just makes no (real world) sense to me why, for the sake of
security and wisdom of using user accounts, (and not logging in as
root)... a command like sudo is even allowed to exist and be available
to the user account.

I'm really not looking for an answer here... it's just an observation
from someone who is trying to apply logic to something they don't
understand, but want and need to.