[ale] Stupid Question Time

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri Feb 3 13:01:34 EST 2012

On Friday 03 February 2012, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> Seriously?

Yes.

> Of all the reasons to report a person for "abuse" on the Internet, that
> has to be not even on the list.  How is it "abuse" to post information
> (whether or not it is helpful or even sane)?

Oh, there was a tiny bit of abuse involved;-) Them: "How do I post a
control message?" (To create a group) Us: "blah blah, format c: and more
blah" I was too chicken to post the actual command, but directed
them, "Hey, Joe Blow answered that very same question just three days ago
in message ID: so at so" Clickable link that took them to Joe Blow's post.

Did not really get in trouble but knew I had been reported since my ISP
CCd complaints to the address being complained about. This was before
spam was so huge that they started ignoring *all* complaints, and lots of
people lost accounts for less back then. It was weeks before I could
relax and quit worrying how I was going to explain to the wife...

> Sigh.
>
> Free speech is dead.  Long live free speech!

Usenet is dead. Long live usenet?
--
William