[ale] sudo shells [Was: Stupid Question Time]

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 3 10:39:59 EST 2012

On 02/03/2012 10:31 AM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> It's personal preference, but I'm curious if anyone has motivations
> for sudo -i.  I suppose if you want your session to really be a "root
> shell" with a "root-like" environment, it's useful.

I prefer a sanitary environment when I go executing commands as other
users.  My home environment is chock full of stuff on every system I am
on; custom $PATH and so forth.

Anything that is really important to have in-sync with the root account
(if, that is, I am the only person who uses the root account, or the
only person that uses the customizations anyway) then I will cp it from
my home directory to root’s home directory.

Half the time I use sudo it isn't to become root, but to become another
user in order to test that things I am working on aren't dependent on my
environment settings anyway.  :-)

Besides, sometimes you will run a command under "sudo -s" and what you
find later on is that root created a bunch of crap that has made your
stuff unhappy in your home directory... I don't like that.  :-)

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”