[ale] Stable, backward compatible APIs

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Aug 31 08:59:52 EDT 2012

Desktops do have to be stable in commercial environments mainly because desktops talk to other servers and services that aren’t necessarily going to be updated any time soon.   Due to some legacy stuff here I have to run a Windows XP virtual guest on my Windows 7 workstation to interface with it.   Even on Windows 7 itself I have to run Java 6 rather than Java 7 because many of the utilities we use simply won’t run in the latter.

What annoyed me several years ago was how many UNIX software vendors (including OS makers like HP for HP-UX)  started requiring Windows desktops for their control apps.