[ale] Google resets

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Aug 20 11:06:14 EDT 2012

On 08/20/2012 10:06 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Anyone else having trouble doing Google searches this morning?   I keep
> getting connection resets.

Not been having trouble myself.  I have had connection reset issues
before, but usually that is indicative of my ISP having some sort of
trouble.  I haven't had such issues, though, since I've been reaching
Google over IPv6.

> I saw mention on this list last week of Google limiting traffic from
> common IPs affecting all outbound workstations on corporate networks
> that share a single outbound IP.   Is Google really so short-sighted
> that they don’t know corporations do this?   Are they unaware
> alternatives like Bing exist so people are more likely to use that than
> go through the trouble of modifying their corporate networks?

Google doesn't necessary limit connections; they use some heuristic to
try to filter out automated queries, particularly when a large number of
them appear to be repeated.  I can't describe the heuristic exactly,
obviously, but I haven't seen it tripped myself in quite some time.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”