[ale] OT: Light Management

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Aug 17 13:47:03 EDT 2012

On 8/17/12 12:28 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:

> Lighting affects people differently. Fluorescent lights can induce
> migraines in some, especially when the bulb is going bad. Also, the
> color temperature of fluorescents gives yellowish-green light that some
> find very irritating
Not so much anymore.  Some film and even some digital cameras can still
register fluorescents as greenish, but that's an artifact of the imaging
process.
> unlike incandescent bulbs which better mimic
> sunlight.
<spit-take> Not even close.  Typical incandescent color temperature is
around 3000K depending on the bulb wattage; straight-up sunlight is
close to 6000K, which is about what electronic flashes/strobes produce.

> I do not know what the color temperature of a computer monitor is.
These days, user-selectable.  It was so even in the CRT era among
higher-end products.