[ale] WiFi at Emory meeting building?

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:22:51 EDT 2012

On 8/16/12 9:45 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> If that's the case, an SSL/TLS based VPN will almost certainly work.  A
> DTLS (SSL/TLS over UDP) such as Cisco Anyconnect / Openconnect may or
> may not work depending on port.  OpenVPN - probably a crap shoot, again,
> depending on the port you use.
>
> I strong have my doubts you would be able to get away with an IPSec /
> Openswan / StrongSWAN / vpnc VPN.  All of those would require port
> 500/udp and then either protocol 50/51 or 4500/udp to work.  That might
> be a bit much to ask for out of guest access.

I can add my anecdotal evidence to the pile.  Emory Guest Access does
not allow for reliable Cisco AnyConnect/IpSec connections.  It will let
you establish, but invariably, within 10 minutes, that connection will
get dropped.  I have been meaning to get one of my VPS boxes set up with
OpenVPN on port 443 and I keep forgetting to do that so i can test how
that works.  I bet not really, but it doesn't hurt too much to try.

Maybe I can get some time today and get that working...

Brian